Saturday, June 4, 2011

As it touched the parched Earth....


After a long day of work under the bland ambiance of my office, as I walked towards the exit to ephemeral freedom, I looked out through the glass window and found the color of the outside world to be shades of red and orange. This rather came as a surprise and instantly I closed my eyes thinking that they need some time to adjust to the light after incessantly gazing at an ancient 14 inch colored screen. As I passed through different levels of security check with impatience growing in the pit of my stomach I became conscious of what I was perceiving through the glass door. At last, only after the guard has ripped me off all my possessions and put them under the scanner where I strongly feel, if he is allowed he will put me too, I could step into the crimson new world.
With brisk steps I looked towards the dark skies and smelt the air. It was redolent with life and promises. Soon it grew darker and the shades of red turned into the strokes of grey. There was a piquant melody in the mellifluous sound of wind which was growing louder with my every step. I searched in my bag for an umbrella as somebody round the corner shouted "here comes the first of the season". Confused between the enthusiasm and caveat behind that statement I put up my umbrella as the first showers touched the parched earth. The air at the brim of my nostril smelt desperately, making my olfactory senses go into an overdrive. As the rains grew stronger and wind doing the rest of the damage I shrank myself under my helpless umbrella, like a baby bear cuddling to its mother, to save the tiny bits and pieces of me which were left dry. It didn't take me much longer to realize the frailty of my endeavors and soon I raised the portcullis of my fragile defense against the mighty. Now there stood only a flimsy umbrella between me and the dark skies glowing with the flashes of lightening but to my dismay this too didn't last for long as I lost my umbrella to a strong gush of wind. Acknowledging my defeat to a worthy opponent I let myself drenched in the glory of my defeat and got soaked in the cold water running down from the skies above.
There was a turmoil everywhere around me but every face had a smile on it or at least a sense of satisfaction as most like me had faced a defeat or didn't even bother to put up a challenge. I heard some boys hooting at the grey clouds above, a lady running for her sandal as she slipped out of one while crossing the road, 3 kids making the most of the moment on their cycles, a couple enjoying the romanticism of rains inside an auto rickshaw, throwing droplets of water on each others face, an innocent dog finding its way, crawling under the truck, howling every-time the thunder struck. I am sure every one of them will cherish the moment( not so sure about the helpless dog), throughout the year till the next first showers but as I sit by the window of my room watching the incessant rain for the 3rd continuous day I don't know for how long will the air smell of 'life' and 'promises'.....

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir ,

    its really nice .. as always !!

    d best part of d post is "I heard some boys hooting at the grey clouds above,......... a couple enjoying the romanticism of rains inside an auto rickshaw, throwing droplets of water on each other ."

    wish u a happy monsoon !! hope it brings a smile to ur face each day !!

    really a nice 1 !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks beta...its good u liked it.. Happy monsoon to u tooo...

    ReplyDelete